Sunday, July 21, 2013

Favorite Video Games

I've played a lot of video games in my life so far.  My family has always been big into video games, stemming mostly out of my mother of all people.  My biological father never really enjoyed video games, but my mother loves them.  I remember spending hours with her after my parents divorced, sitting on the edge of her bed in the room at the back of the apartment, watching her leap and shoot from platform to platform in Super Metroid on the SNES.

I've had many consoles in my possession, whether I bought it, it was gifted, or was in my family.  Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Playstation, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advanced, Nintendo DS, and probably a few more that I honestly can't recall.  However, there's a handful of video games that I have really fallen in love with and always revert back to when I get bored at any point in time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My number one favorite game of all time.  Never have I played one game consecutively for this long.  Usually my attention for a game dies off after about a month, but I've actually been addicted to this game since I joined over a year ago.

My favorite part of the game is the variation.  You never get two similar matches in a row, there's a new strategy, a new team, a new position to be played every game.  I'm a huge fan of strategy games, love them til I hit the grave, and League of Legends is all about strategy and quick reactions!  That, and they love to dote on their fans when possible, including amazing animations of the playable champions.



League of Legends is a multiplayer online battle arena game, most commonly consisting of 5v5 teams of champions that stem from a pool of over 100+ unique characters.  Instead of listing every detail I know about the game, how about you just visit the wiki?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

My number one favorite series of all time.  I love almost every game from the Metroid series, and if I didn't love it, I at least liked it.  Super Metroid is by far my favorite, but I am quite smitten with the Prime trilogy also.  Between my mother and I, I'm pretty darn sure we own every metroid game out there, for sure have played all of them.

Who couldn't love Samus Aran, a strong willed, independent, ass kicking female lead in a game?  That, and she has a pretty bad-ass suit that you spend every game evolving in order kick some major butt.  On top of that, each game in the series presents a new world, new things to explore, and even though there's normally an order of things you should follow to make the game easiest to play, you by no means have to.  Heck, some people are crazy enough to run the entire game 'backwards' by fighting the primary bosses in a reverse order!



Metroid has evolved primarily between a 2D screen scrolling shooter to a FPS 3D game.  More information about it can be found at the Metroid wiki.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Pretty much any rhythm, music based game is my forte.  I love music, I was a huge band geek in highschool, and I have a great sense for tempo and generally do very well with these games.

Osu! is an online game, free for download, where you click, drag, and swirl bubbles that appear on your screen with your mouse to rack up points.

DDR, or Dance Dance Revolution is a mat dancing game, where you step on arrows according to how they are on the screen, and is played on consoles like the playstation and the wii.

Guitar Hero is technically a controller game, except the controller is in the form of a guitar that you 'strum' by pressing down colored buttons on the neck in accordance with the notes on the screen.  Is most well known on the playstation and xbox consoles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love the final fantasy series as a whole, but Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy XIII are my favorites.  Considering there's more freedom in IX to roam about the world and such in more of the game than XIII, it tops as my number 1 favorite, but just by a bit.

Both games mentioned have fanatstic characters, wonderful story lines/plot, and awesome graphics, mostly in terms of the cut scenes in regards to IX.  The fighting systems are different in both games, but are enjoyable both in their own ways.
 



The Final Fantasy series of games are RPG's, each with a different focus of characters and storyline unless it's a second installment of an existing game, like X-2 or XIII-2.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



 Rune Factory Frontier is a game I play, but I honestly have never fully, 100% actually completed.  There's just so much to do and complete in the game!  I honestly get bored with farming only games, and complete dungeon crawlers only to generally get bored with them fairly quickly, so the fact that RFF is a combination of the two is perfect.

Besides it being a great combination of dungeon crawling and farming, the game has a good progression, making it so you can't complete it ridiculously fast, but also don't have to spend a month of play time to get a handful of crops and materials from monsters.  Some plants take stupid long to grow, namely the rare flowers needed to make an item necessary to marry a maiden, but by that point in the game you have enough money to buy a ton of fertilizers and speed up the process.

The game is a mix between farming, like Harvest Moon, where you plant and grow crops, and a dungeon crawler, like Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, where you fight monsters and further a main plot quest.  You can woo one of the 1 main ladies, cook, tame monsters to help out on the farm, improve your house, stargaze, fish; there's pretty much no end to what can be done in the game!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's just a small taste of the games I enjoy.  I'm mostly a fan of RPG's as a whole, but dabble into FPS, strategy, and other genres also.  Just mention a game that's not over-the-top obscure and I'll generally have at least heard of it, if not played it at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment