Monday, July 22, 2013

OCD and Perfectionism

Both are things I have lived with and have been getting increasingly more prominent in my life.  I would venture to say that my chronic depression is a key to why that's happening, but that's an entirely different topic that could likely take pages to get through.

My Pictures - Kinda Organized, Could Be Better



While I wouldn't say I have OCD to the extreme, there are a few things I have to do no matter what.  Organization is probably the biggest offender.  I have to organize things, I can't not.  Whether it's items in my wishlist on Gaia Online by price in my quest thread, or how exactly my crops are planted in Rune Factory frontier, or how the DVDs I own are ordered, things have to have an order to them.  Usually, it only applies to things that have multiples of them, and is not necessarily connected to cleanliness.  My desk can be an absolute mess, but as long as I have the important items I use often in their specific places amongst the mess, my OCD is satisfied.

I'd also classify my pet peeves into my OCD.  My two biggest pet peeves are people smacking their gum, and people chewing just about any food with their mouths open.  I actually came close to outright yelling at a girl in my college class across the table from me because she was chewing her gum in the most annoying manner possible.  I managed to take a deep breath and ask her nicely to put her gum in the garbage, and she was nice enough to comply, but I know I would've gotten mean if it had continued.  I just can't stand people smacking their gum, makes them seem stupid and ditzy.



As for people chewing with their mouths open, it's everywhere.  My boyfriend 5 feet from me on the computer does it all the time, people I'm talking with on skype while playing League of Legends do it, heck, people I pass in public do it.  More than once, when my friends on skype do it, I'll just stop whatever conversation is happening with 'Who the hell is chewing?!'  Usually they realize what they're doing and stop, apologize, and mute their microphone until their done eating, or chewing at least.  Those that haven't stopped, thought it would be funny to annoy me and keep on chewing loudly, if not purposely, have had the skype call dropped on them and been dropped from my life.  I fucking hate it, don't keep doing it like an ass.



Perfectionism, while tied into organizing and my OCD, applies to almost everything else in my life.  If I'm writing a paper, I have to do it with a pen, and if I make an error, I will crumple the paper up and re-write it until it's clean and polished looking.  I'll only resort to white-out if I'm incredibly tired or very pressed for time.

Most of the time, being a perfectionist helps whenever I have a job, being that I get the job done thoroughly and correct the first time, although it might take a smidge longer than most others.  Many employers love me for it, but I think they have a hard time believing I can do as I say until I am put into action.

In the end, I believe both traits both make my life better in some aspects, but worse in others.  I do wonderful work, can write spectacularly, but generally friends are put off to such things.  I get irritated easily if something is out of place, or someone screws something up I had 'perfect', and I may snap at them for such actions unnecessarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment