Monday, August 5, 2013

Phobias: Not to be taken lightly!

Everybody and their uncle says they have a phobia of something these days.  Whether they get squeamish around blood or jump a little when they see a spider, usually, they do not have a phobia of whatever they're scared of.

Scaredy Cat!

Here is the exact definition of what a phobia is:
" an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation. "
 So that getting squeamish or jumping a little around particular things is not a phobia.  If blood made you hyperventilate and possibly pass out, your own or someone elses, then you may have a phobia.  If you go to great lengths, spending days if not weeks and tons of money in riding your house of spiders to make sure you never see one in your' safe place', then you may have phobia.

Famous Phobias

List was found here.
  • Andre Agassi (Tennis Player) – spiders
  • Muhammad Ali (Boxer) – flying
  • Napoleon Bonaparte (General) – cats
  • Charles Darwin (Naturalist) – blood
  • Agnetha Faltskog (ABBA singer) – heights
  • Kelly Osbourne (TV Presenter) – being touched
  • Nicole Kidman (Actress) – moths/butterflies
  • Madonna (Singer) – thunder
  • Andy Warhol (Artist) – hospitals
  • Jennifer Love Hewitt (Actress) – monsters under bed
  • David Beckham (Footballer) – disorder
  • Pamela Anderson (Actress) – mirrors
  • Christina Ricci (Actress) – houseplants  
  • Sigmund Freud (Psycho-Analyst) – birds
  • Alfred Hitchcock (Film Director) – eggs
  • Kim Basinger (Actress) – outdoors
  • Johnny Depp (Actor) – clowns
  • Carmen Electra (Actress) – water 
My Phobias

Currently, I suffer from two phobias, both of which would make the eventual reality of becoming pregnant a complete hell.

Aichmophobia
" Fear of needles or pointed objects "
I've had this since I was a youngin'.  I remember all the way back to one of my first vaccinations of panicking with my mother in the waiting room.  Next memory, biting my dentist, hard, when the time came for the novicaine needle.  I was hyperventilating and crying and biting and it was just a mess.

Currently, even as a 24 year old female, I will still hyperventilate, panic, and cry my eyes out for a good 10 minutes before taking the plunge.  Even then, the last time I had to have blood drawn, I did all that, plus the nurse took me to a private room, called in another nurse, and they held my hand and talked to me for a good 15 more minutes until I was able to let them do it.

Occasionally, this will even apply to knives, usually ones that wouldn't belong in the kitchen.  Aggravatingly, my boyfriend owns a bunch of novelty daggers and the such like any young man, and I usually leave the room or freak out and ask him to stop messing with them if he pulls them out in my vicinity.

Emetophobia
" Fear of vomiting "
This one came with my depression oddly enough.  Only when I started feeling the early parts of the onset of my depression, did the idea of vomiting absolutely terrify me.  Paired with my horribly sensitive stomach that had constant indigestion through out the last few years of high school, my phobia only got stronger and stronger.

If I feel like I am going to possibly throw up, I will start panicking, taking medication like pepto or tums religiously, and as the feeling gets stronger, crying and hyperventilating.  I know all of that just makes the likelihood of throwing up even worse, but ones brain isn't exactly rational while suffering from a phobia.  My panic will get exponentially worse if I feel like I'll be alone while throwing up, making feeling remotely ill at work a huge problem since I consider that being alone.

Other Phobias

Of course the ones I mentioned for myself or even the celebrities is far from a complete list.  Here's a few common ones, and a little less known phobias.

Common
Arachnophobia - Fear of spiders
Acrophobia - Fear of heights
Claustrophobia - Fear of small or enclosed spaces
Misophobia - Fear of germs or contamination with dirt
Achluphobia - Fear of darkness

Uncommon
Neophobia - Fear of newness
Omniphobia - Fear of everything
Eleutherophobia - Fear of freedom
Hedonophobia - Fear of feeling pleasure
Levophobia - Fear of things to the left side of the body

No comments:

Post a Comment